It’s been awhile since I’ve written my ‘this week in business’ series. A few large things that have happened in 2010 just to recap (some new stuff, some not so new stuff):
- I signed the papers and will be officially incorporated in January.
- I began working for a friend managing a couple of his websites. We have since figured out how to be employer and employee as well as friends. Bonus: I’ve learned a lot of technical stuff too!
- I presented at Social Media FTW Conference, which I had attended the year before and dreamed of presenting at.
- I subcontracted some part time help who will become a full-blown employee in 2011.
- My business can now accept credit cards, not just Paypal.
- I booked my first two ‘remote’ clients (ie people who will probably never meet me but they seem so nice, I hope it happens at some point!)
- I finally learned enough about Quickbooks to be dangerous.
- I lost the first big client I ever got (because of funding, not because I stunk) but I lived to tell the tale and my business did not crumble.
- I bid on a big website project in my hometown, and I got it.
- My mom hired me to work for her business.
- I created internet marketing packages for small businesses on my site, inspired by my mom’s questions.
- I admitted to a mentor that I was afraid of success then worked really hard to find big and challenging projects to face my fear head on.
- I made my first bilingual website, optimized for search in French and English.
- I didn’t take a second job this summer, and used the energy to get more work relevant to what I want to do professionally.
That’s certainly not close to everything but some of the more time intensive and interesting things for sure.
I also had a lot happen in my personal life:
- I met a man who has put up with a year of 80 hour weeks with patience and kindness. Moreover he loves how much I care about my work.
- I became an aunt. (Note to self: Get permission from my sister to put her baby’s photo on my website- she’s super cute!)
- Sadie (my beagle mix) died and I adopted Gidget from Georgia.
- I took my first vacation in two years and spent a total of three hours online that week.
- I went with my family to Georgia (a working but fun vacation).
- I found out my grandfather has cancer, which continues to worsen and has made me value the time I have with him.
As I’ve said already on social media today, I want to thank my family and friends for all their support this year, on the business front and other fronts as well.
2011 promises to be another exciting year and, while part of me is dreading turning 30 and what my Pepere will go through, part of me knows the alternative to moving forward is stagnating and no one wants that.
Happy New Year to you and yours!